Trial delayed in River Forest's Priory Park murder

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

By Deb Kadin

A new trial date has been set for a former North Chicago police officer, his son and an acquaintance who authorities say were involved in the fatal shooting of a Chicago woman in the parking lot of a River Forest park in 2011.

Proceedings were expected to begin last week, but instead Devin Bickham Sr., Devin Bickham Jr. and Cardell Taylor will go to trial Jan. 27, a spokesman for the state's attorney's office said.

Bickham Jr. will appear for a pre-trial status hearing on Nov. 12; Bickham Sr. and Taylor will have the same hearing on Dec. 5.

All will be before Cook County Judge Noreen Love in Maybrook.

No reason was given for why the trial was delayed or why Bickham Jr's status hearing was set for a different date.

The three stand accused of first-degree murder in connection with the premeditated death of Chervon Monique Alexander.

The three have been held without bond in the Cook County Jail since their arrest on July 14, 2011.

Back in 2011, authorities accused Bickham Sr. of offering Taylor $400 if he would kill Alexander. Prosecutors said the older Bickham had been planning the crime for some time as a way of getting out his relationship with her.

Bickham Sr. and Alexander drove to the Priory Park parking lot at the northeast corner of Division Street and Bonnie Brae Place, a spot they'd been to before. His alleged accomplices were in another car a block away. After getting a text message from Bickham Sr., Taylor came to the car and allegedly shot Alexander several times, according to authorities.

After the shooting, which took place around 10:20 p.m. in a darkened parking lot shared by River Forest and Dominican University's Priory Campus, the older Bickham called police and pretended to be a witness to the shooting, authorities said.

Prosecutors said Bickham Sr. called 911 moments after his girlfriend's shooting in an attempt to distance himself from the crime.

The younger Bickham and Taylor were apprehended by Forest Park police roughly a mile from the crime scene. Alexander died around 11 p.m. at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood.

Reader Comments

1 Comment - Add Your Comment

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Comment Policy

Chuck Izzo from River Forest  

Posted: November 1st, 2013 4:30 PM

Who needs a trial? Back in the day, (see Lonesome Dove) these types lowlifes were dealt with quickly and permanently. I was born about 120 years too late.

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2017

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2017 Answer Book, please click here.

Quick Links

Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.

MultimediaContact us
Submit Letter To The Editor
Place a Classified Ad

Classified Ad