By Dan Haley
We've just mailed thousands of Oak Parkers a subscription offer for Wednesday Journal. And a very good offer, too – 18 months for $30. (Quick note, our online subscription form still says $30 for one year. We just haven't gotten it changed yet. But rest assured if you sign up today you'll be getting 18-month offer.)
So why am I posting this online as well?
- To thank you if you are already a print subscriber as well as a digital reader. To give you a heads up to watch for the postcard. Don't recycle it along with the Jiffy Lube coupon and the latest mortgage re-fi offer. To make a straight-on request if you are a digital-only reader at OakPark.com. We need your print subscription, too. Really.
- Even as I am writing this note, I saw the word that the Tribune is erecting a partial paywall on its site. Consider my request that you fork over $30 for 18 months to be the Journal's kinder, gentler version of a paywall.
- It is really very simple. Someone has to pay for the journalism. Right now print subscriptions are the way we have to ask our readers to pay their share of the cost of all the news we cover, all the features we write, all the ways we connect with Oak Park and River Forest.
And here's a small secret: reading the paper is a good time. It is actually cool. Even if you have a tablet, a smartphone and a skinny laptop, newsprint is still worthy.
So follow this link and subscribe to the Journal right now. Then the next time you click on the Breaking News update we've sent, you can do it without even a smidge of guilt.
We love what we do. We think what we do is important to our hometowns. And we appreciate your support going forward.
Editor and Publisher
Requisite semi-small print:
- Offer is only for new subscribers in Cook County.
- Didn't get a postcard? Well, heck, you can still subscribe to this great offer. Just follow this link.
- Offer valid from Oct. 18, 2012 through Nov. 2, 2012.