By Jean Lotus
After confronting thief, man beaten with scooter
A 43-year-old Oak Park resident was attacked by a man he observed removing an unattended child's scooter from the yard of a house in the 200 block of South Cuyler Avenue during the day, Sept. 26. Police said the victim and the offender, roughly 20, both got off a westbound Green Line train at the Ridgeland Avenue stop around 1 p.m. and walked southbound down Cuyler. The unknown man allegedly removed a razor scooter from a front yard and began to ride away. The Oak Park man called to the offender and demanded he return the scooter; he then asked a passerby to call police. The offender reportedly then approached the victim and used the scooter to strike the man in the arm, abdomen and ribcage. He then fled westbound in the alley south of the 300 block of Madison Street. The owner of the scooter was not located.
Police said an Oak Park female juvenile was approached around 4 p.m., Sept. 24, in the 400 block of North Austin Boulevard by an unknown male, age 17-18 years old, who asked her for the time. When she held her black Tanzania tablet out in front of her to answer his question, the man allegedly snatched it from her hands and fled eastbound on Ohio Street into Chicago. Estimated loss was $100.
Arrest in June Radio Shack burglary
Oak Park police served a warrant on a South Bend, Ind. woman being held in the St. Joseph County, Ind. jail Sept. 27. Tyshonna Blades, 22, was identified as part of a group who committed a felony theft removing $16,000 worth of cellphones from a storage locker at the Oak Park Radio Shack, June 27. In July, police arrested Thomas C. Sumlin and Diona Murray, of Snellville, Ga., in connection with the burglary.
Concordia employee charged with theft of laptop
River Forest police arrested a Concordia University employee on Sept. 20 and charged the 45-year-old Oak Park man with the theft of a student laptop, removed from a backpack on campus around 5 p.m., Sept. 19. An internal GPS tracker on the laptop located it at the home of the employee's ex-wife in Elgin. He was charged with theft.
- Someone ransacked the basement of a building under renovation in the 700 block of Lake Street, overnight Sept. 23-24. They gained entry by prying open a basement door. It was unclear if any items were removed.
- Oak Park police arrested David Hardrick, 41, of the 100 block of West Chestnut Street in Chicago on Sept. 24 for unlawful possession of credit cards and an active warrant for burglary of a home in the 800 block of South Lombard Avenue.
- Someone entered a home in the 100 block of South Ridgeland Avenue during the day, Sept. 25, through an unlocked back porch door and removed four laptops and a Vizio tablet, a coin jar containing $61, and a red canvas duffle bag. Estimated loss was $6,500.
- Someone entered a residence in the 700 block of Garfield Street during the day, Sept. 26, by prying open the lock on the rear door. Offenders removed a 42-inch Sony television, a black Xbox 360 console with two games, two women's watches, a pink laptop, a pair of red headphones, and miscellaneous men's clothing. The estimated loss was $4,200.
- Persons unknown entered a home in the 900 block of North Lombard Avenue via an unlocked rear kitchen window during the day on Sept. 26. Removed were a black 46-inch flat-screen television and a PS3 game station, a 60-inch television, a 3D television and an Apple iPad with a red case. The estimated loss was $11,500.
Waffles to go
- Three female patrons in their 20s fled the Chicago Chicken and Waffles restaurant in the 500 block of Madison Street without paying for their meal around 1 p.m. Sept. 26.
- A woman refused to pay her $62 Yellow Cab fare around midnight in the 1000 block of Randolph Street, Sept. 24, police said. She allegedly exited the cab, ran inside the building and locked the door.
Fireworks in a church box
River Forest police investigated the Sept. 21 destruction of a wooden box holding religious flyers at the River Forest Bible Church, 946 Harlem Ave. Police discovered someone had thrown fireworks into the box, causing irreparable damage. Loss was unknown.
Fraudulent prescription use
An Oak Park psychiatrist told River Forest police, Sept. 23, he was alerted by the Prescription Monitoring Program that his ex-wife was fraudulently obtaining prescription medication from the CVS pharmacy at 7929 North Avenue. Police are investigating.
Neighbor love triangle spat in McDonald's
River Forest police reported an Oak Park man was allegedly assaulted in the McDonald's restaurant, 624 Harlem Ave. on Sept. 24, after an ex-neighbor recognized him and accused him of having relations with his wife, which the victim denied. The ex-neighbor then allegedly threatened and pushed the victim.
Auto burglary roundup
Unlocked automobiles were burglarized in the 300 block of South Oak Park Avenue, overnight Sept. 23-24; in the 6300 block of West North Avenue, the evening of Sept. 25; in the 800 block of South Lombard Avenue, the 900 block of South Taylor Avenue and the 200 block of Harrison Street, overnight Sept. 25-26; in the 600 block of Lake Street, overnight Sept. 26-27; in the 700 block of North Boulevard, sometime Sept. 25-27; and in the 300 block of North Elmwood Avenue, overnight Sept. 27-28. A locked car was broken into in the 1000 block of Washington, overnight Sept. 26-27.
- A silver Toyota Corolla was removed from the 1000 block of Washington Boulevard overnight Sept. 26-27 by unknown means. The loss was estimated at $17,500.
- Someone pried open the lock of a boy's swim locker at Oak Park and River Forest High School during the day, Sept. 24, and removed an Apple iPhone. Loss was estimated at $500.
- Someone entered an office in the 700 block of Lake Street, sometime between Sept. 20-23, by pushing in a window air-conditioning unit. Once inside, offenders removed a digital scale. Estimated loss was $100.
- A woman left her black leather purse hanging from a rear fence in the 100 block of Washington Boulevard, the morning of Sept. 25. Within 15 minutes, it was gone. Removed were her wallet, credit cards, three USB drives, cash and a cellphone. Estimated loss was $288.
- A wallet was removed from a victim's purse in the 400 block of North Harlem Avenue around 1:40 p.m., Sept. 27. Estimated loss was $50.
- Someone took four cast-iron patio chairs from the backyard of a house in the 1000 block of South Oak Park Avenue, overnight Sept. 26-27. Loss was estimated at $600.
- A silver HP Envy X2 laptop was removed from the front office desk of a business in the 200 block of Madison Street, overnight Sept. 26-67. Loss was $800.
Oak Park police found a 24-year-old Chicago man passed out behind the wheel of his idling auto at 6:30 a.m. in the 1200 block of Division Street, Sept. 29. Open beer was recovered from the vehicle. The man was transported by ambulance to Oak Park Hospital, where he refused to submit to breathalyzer or blood tests. He was charged with aggravated DUI and held with no bond.
Unlocked bikes were removed from the Roosevelt Middle School bike rack in River Forest, Sept. 24; from the 400 block of South Ridgeland Avenue during the day, Sept. 24, and from the rear porch of a house in the 400 block of South Ridgeland Avenue, overnight Sept. 24-25.
Locked bicycles were removed from the 400 block of South Ridgeland Avenue during the day, Sept. 19; in the 1100 block of South Boulevard during the day, Sept. 23; in the 400 block of Ridgeland Avenue during the afternoon of Sept. 25; from a bike rack in the 1100 block of North Boulevard, Sept. 25; from the bike rack at Oak Park and River Forest High School, overnight Sept. 26-27; and from a railing of the front steps of a residence in the 1000 block of North Harlem Avenue during the day, Sept. 26.
Bike theft upgrade
A Berwyn resident saw an unknown juvenile leave a chrome bike behind and ride off on his red-and-black Trek Marlin bike left unlocked and unattended in the CVS vestibule in the 6700 block of West Roosevelt Road, the evening of Sept. 27. Estimated loss was $800.
Someone spread feces and flour on the front windshield of a white Ford Triton V8 while it was parked in the 400 block of South Grove Avenue, overnight Sept. 28-29.
An unlocked garage was burglarized in the 700 block of South Harvey Avenue, overnight Sept. 28-29, and two bicycles were removed. Loss was $900.
An unlocked garage in the 700 block of South Cuyler Avenue was burglarized sometime between Sept. 21 and 25. A bike and garage door opener were removed.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park and River Forest police departments, came from reports filed Sept. 19-29 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public's help in making an arrest.
—Compiled by Jean Lotus
Hire Local for FREE!
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|