Postal service delayed by subzero temperatures

Some Oak Park residents have not received mail since Saturday

By Timothy Inklebarger

Subzero temperatures resulting in business and school closures across the country this week also brought mail delivery to a grinding halt in parts of Oak Park.

Residents living on the south side of the village, on both sides of the Eisenhower Expressway, report that they have not received mail since Saturday.

Oak Park Postmaster Theresa Thurmond says that on Monday, when the temperature dropped to minus 17 degrees, more than half of the mail carriers were unable to make it to work. Those who did faced dangerously cold weather, icy streets and sidewalks. Thurmond said carriers had to use de-icer, WD-40 lubricant and, in some cases, hammers to pry open mailboxes that had frozen shut.

"It's like you're doing surgery," she said.

According to Thurmond, the south station post office runs 37 routes, but 20 of the carriers were unable to make it to work on Monday, leaving 17 to pick up the slack. The Lake Street Post Office also had 18 carriers unable to make it in on Monday.

One employee who made it out came back with frostbite and another suffered hypothermia after returning from their route, Thurmond said.

By Thursday, both stations were operating with full staff.

"I've tried to explain the situation as much as possible about delivering what we could at the time," Thurmond said. "Today we're at 100 percent, and everyone that should get mail will get mail today."

Not knowing what had happened to their mail or when deliveries would resume was the biggest point of consternation for residents.

Rick Nosek, 57, who lives on the 1000 block of Wenonah Ave., said after calling both branches, he was told by a representative at the main branch that, "'I can't tell you what happens in South Oak Park."

After finally getting through to the south branch, Nosek was assured that he'd receive his mail on Thursday.

"I've lived in Oak Park my entire life and I can't remember this happening," he said, adding, "I have some bills outstanding, and I want to make sure they arrive."

Elizabeth Rexford, of the 800 block of Lyman Ave., was in touch with neighbors and learned that residents have not received mail all week in the area bounded by Ridgeland, Austin, Madison and Harrison.

"They're having the same problem in River Forest," she said, adding that Saturday was the last time she received mail.

"Maybe it was impossible to get the mail out when it was so very cold (on Monday); we understand that, but not on Tuesday and Wednesday," Rexford said.

She contacted the Postmaster General of the United States earlier this week and received a response today apologizing for the delay.

"Regrettably extreme weather conditions have presented themselves over the past week causing an adverse effect on our staff as well as our overall operations...Staff shortages have been experienced at many of our facilities," the letter, in part, stated.

It goes on to state that due to extreme weather conditions, postal service policy requires carriers to return to branch offices by 6 p.m. As a result, some addresses may not get delivery for the day, according to the letter, and for those routes that were missed; they are given priority the following day.

According to Rexford, she was told by someone at the post office that she would receive her mail on Wednesday, but it never arrived.

"I wonder why he thought we were going to get it, and we didn't," she said. "There's something wrong with that situation."

She noted that in addition to bills, some people receive medication through the mail.

"A lot of things are done by email, but a lot of mail is still very important to people," she said.

According to Thurmond, mail service resumed to a normal schedule on Thursday and that the delay was about keeping workers safe.

"Mail carriers are human," she said. "They are people, and we want to send them home back to their people. It's not about them being lazy; it's about them being safe."

Contact:
Email: tim@oakpark.com

Jen from No thanks

Posted: March 1st, 2014 7:08 PM

Someone said we pay "nothing" for our US postal service...Um, yes we do...TAXES!!!! Nothing is free...nothing.

Speedway from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: February 24th, 2014 9:40 PM

Have to disagree with you Debbie. The issue was not about no mail delivery on the really cold days it was the lack of delivery to a large area over a month long even when it was 40 degrees outside. There was a problem with having enough mail carriers. This issue was hidden and took over a month to resolve at least for my area. Also, someone did pay to have that mail sent to us, it was not free and the price has gone up.

Debbie

Posted: February 24th, 2014 7:42 PM

Will everyone just relax, if you think it's not cold outside, stand or walk outside for 6 hrs . The trucks don't have good heaters either . By the way , how much do you pay for your mail delivery? That's right, nothing!!

Wife of Letter Carrier

Posted: February 10th, 2014 8:58 PM

My husband is a letter carrier at the Main PO and has not missed a day through all this, works an avg. of 12 hrs/day. Trudges thru all the snow and there are plenty of you that don't shovel walks or stairs, but he delivers to every house on his route. I hope if you are complaining you all went to work and sent your kids sledding on their days off while others delivered mail and picked up the slack for those carriers that did not make it to work either. Stop complaining and go pick-up your mail

Carol from Oak Park

Posted: January 28th, 2014 3:34 PM

The package I ordered in November, and which was tracked to the Main OP Post Office on Nov. 30, was delivered last week. This, and worse, is what we have come to expect over the years from this Post Office. And it's not just packages. Carriers regularly drop mail at one address and leave it to neighbors to deliver it -- or not. Interestingly, we never get junk mail. And the postmaster won't even talk to people who go in to complain.

SouthOakParker

Posted: January 20th, 2014 3:11 PM

I was totally understanding of the lack of delivery on the super cold days. Other days, no. We are waiting for a paper prescription that cannot be called in or delivered electronically to the pharmacy. It would be nice to know we can count on the postal service for this. It's now been more than a week since the prescription was sent. We had no delivery for several days after the big freeze and none this Saturday. I think this needs to be addressed. It's important.

Carrie

Posted: January 15th, 2014 7:45 PM

@Mike, I contacted RF village and if you email them with your concerns and address, they will share with the regional postmaster. I don't think this is a letter carrier issue, seems like overall poor management at the top.

LetterCarrier

Posted: January 14th, 2014 11:11 PM

Wow! MORE claptrap! Takes "vitrol" to know it! "It's amazing that people are complaining about getting junk mail ?. I'm pretty sure that many of folks who are complaining would not let children outside at -45 temps.

LetterCarrier

Posted: January 14th, 2014 11:10 PM

It was NOT -45 temps ANY time last week! Nor ?" for the second time -- was there ANY "record temperature conditions" last week! "Get over your" SELF! And whatever twisted agenda you have! Since you can't get simple temperature, mail class, and "vitriol" straight, it would not in the least bit be surprising that you misrepresent the Lake Street office. Indeed, WHAT is "New to the area from Oak Park"? WHERE is "balance" in ANY of that?

LetterCarrier

Posted: January 14th, 2014 10:39 PM

@Carol Yep. That's what they do, Or pay attention. Come on! You've never heard of turkeys like that? Just check out the comments by "Violet"!

Mike

Posted: January 14th, 2014 8:09 PM

For what it's worth, the 100 block of Forest in River Forest didn't have mail MTW ) of last week (can understand monday and tuesday) but hasn't had anything yesterday or today. At this point they're going to need to bring a crate of mail to everyone's house. Still waiting for a package that arrived in the USPS on Saturday the 4th...

Mary Unbehauen Rodrigo from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: January 14th, 2014 6:47 PM

I got lots of mail yesterday but have yet to see any today as of 6:45pm. My block is without mail as well.

Carrie

Posted: January 14th, 2014 6:33 PM

Delivery in that cold was unreasonable. Why it didn't come yesterday or today, I have no idea.

Carol from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2014 12:58 PM

Dan, a package I ordered in November was tracked to the OP Post Office on Nov. 30. I took the tracking number to the PO but it was never found. Last summer two packages disappeared for several WEEKS. One eventually appeared on a neighbor's porch. The other was delivered to me with "Return to Sender" and "Undeliverable" stamps. Is that what they do when they don't want to bother delivering something?

Dan

Posted: January 14th, 2014 12:18 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've had packages sitting in "Out For Delivery" Status for over a week. Is anyone else experiencing issues with packages?

New to the area from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2014 11:59 AM

Lots of vitriol on comments to this article. I have very few negative experiences with the Oak Park USPS office on Lake Street that I use. In fact, I was rather pleased with the help of the counter employees compared to other places where I lived. I say this because it appears that a lot of people expend copious amounts of energy when there is service issue, but no energy at all when there is service excellence or performance expectations that are met. A little balance. Just sayin'

rlinehan

Posted: January 13th, 2014 10:51 PM

Thanks, "Viola", you've clarified pretty much EVERYTHING!

rlinehan

Posted: January 13th, 2014 10:48 PM

Pamela also said, "When I asked if I could pick the package up the employee would not give me a straight answer." Does any one here want the "Violas" to continue trashing their property and then rubbing their noses in it? WHAT could be clearer demonstration of the utter arrogance and nonperformance of postal employees such as these? Who also misrepresent the facts of the USPS -- indeed simple temperatures. Can there be any doubt as to what occurred last week in USPS performance? AND why?

rlinehan

Posted: January 13th, 2014 10:39 PM

And just look at "Violet's" response to Pamela: "LOL" and "bagger country." For what? "I mailed a package to my granddaughter who lives in Chicago on January 4; it has been in Chicago and 'out for delivery' since January 6th, it is now January 12th. Every time I have talked to a post office employee they told me the package would be delivered tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow. This could go on forever.

rlinehan

Posted: January 13th, 2014 9:55 PM

Uncommon Sense and Real List both are right. And Violet Aura, evidently a postal employee (and NOT one of its stars) proves why: Grossly misrepresents postal issues (so as to hide reality). And even misrepresents the temperatures Tuesday so as to obscure what really happened at the OPPO that day: MASSIVE FAILURE.

rlinehan

Posted: January 13th, 2014 9:48 PM

@Violet: No wonder you misrepresented Tuesday's temperature! This assertion reveals ALL! It is NOT the case that "the USPS is required to fund 70 years of pensions in a decade." Still less is it "making a profit but due to that requirement (done by design to destroy them by making them look bad)." They "jack up prices and cut services" because they are grossly mismanaged, which is also why they can't pay their obligations to CURRENT employees and retirees -- JUST as the GAO reported. LOL!

Uncommon Sense

Posted: January 13th, 2014 11:27 AM

+100 Real List. Seriously, first class mail service should be like one day at week. Two at most. If you want it earlier, get off your butt and go pick it up at post office or pay for priority mail delivery. A stamp should be at least $1.00.

Real List

Posted: January 13th, 2014 9:39 AM

Everyone still arguing about a service that should be only 4 days per week anyway? Maybe 5 max? The USPO has been hemorrhaging money for years. The current business model doesn't work anyway. Close the USPO for business on Wednesdays and Sundays and be done with it. Don't worry...you'll still get your Bed Bath & Beyond coupons. If you are relying on the USPO for anything time sensitive in the 21st century, you are only making yourself a victim.

Violet Aura from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: January 13th, 2014 9:33 AM

@Pamela: LOL! Apple River? That's 'bagger country, dear! I know you are "done" with gobermint but your 'bagger ilk want to destroy all gobermint institutions. Did you know that the USPS is required to fund 70 years of pensions in a decade? They ARE making a profit but due to that requirement (done by design to destroy them by making them look bad), they must jack up prices and cut services.

SherlockHolmes

Posted: January 12th, 2014 11:09 PM

Uranus, indeed! Even "Bob" was closer: "Tuesday (1/7) had a low of -12 at 4:15 AM & a high of +3 at 3:34PM" Ever heard of Planet Earth? You certainly weren't there that day!

Violet Aura from Uranus

Posted: January 12th, 2014 10:22 PM

@Sherlock: Bull hockey! I was out on Tuesday and the HIGH was about -12 tops. We began to climb out of it the next day by clearing zero but it didn't get much higher on Wed. either.

SherlockHolmes

Posted: January 12th, 2014 9:47 PM

Takes one to know "different set of facts." Please note the times you evidently thoughtlessly produced: 8:44AM 12:03AM 4:15 AM At WHICH of those times are letter carriers out delivering mail? WHICH? And WHICH of the temperatures you cited is "record"? You DID get ONE fact right: +3 at 3:34PM (Tuesday). Which is what I wrote.. Because I was THERE! It isn't just the incompetent "postmaster" of Oak Park who can't get simple fact straight! And, of course, you INSIST on your opinion -- DESPITE fact

Oakparkbob

Posted: January 12th, 2014 9:02 PM

Sherlock- Monday (1/6/14) had a low of -16 at 8:44AM at O'Hare. The high that day was -2 at 12:03AM. Tuesday (1/7) had a low of -12 at 4:15 AM & a high of +3 at 3:34PM. You are entitled to your opinion but not a different set of facts!

SherlockHolmes

Posted: January 12th, 2014 8:37 PM

The temperature did NOT drop to minus 17 degrees on Monday -- and certainly NOT when postal carriers were out delivering mail. The temp that day was well above zero. The weather problem that day was snow. The day that was cold was Tuesday, and the temperature that day when carriers were out was 0 to +2 degrees, which is NOT "record temps," as one commenter asserted. Even the low that day was NOT 17 below. NOT!!! Even simple fact is grossly misrepresented by postal mismanagers

LetterCarrier

Posted: January 12th, 2014 8:17 PM

You also misrepresented SIMPLE fact: There were NO "record temps" last week. OR snowfalls. Certainly on Wednesday! You do NOT know "logistics" -- and are utterly clueless about the Postal "Service." Which is bankrupt precisely because of the aforementioned problems. Indeed, the worst is yet to come! Mark my words.

LetterCarrier

Posted: January 12th, 2014 8:16 PM

--Also flat-out lie is the "Postmaster" Thurmond's assertion: "It's not about [carriers] being lazy; it's about them being safe." --It is TOO about carriers being lazy: In my office it was PRECISELY the slackers, shirkers, and malingerers who didn't show. And just as in Oak Park, the routes that were delivered were serviced by the carriers who ALWAYS do their jobs, in thin as well as thick, as that IS THEIR JOBS.

LetterCarrier

Posted: January 12th, 2014 8:15 PM

--The "Postmaster General" wrote a resident that "for those routes that were missed; they are given priority the following day." Which is flat-out lie: Some routes did not go out AT ALL for THREE DAYS!

LetterCarrier

Posted: January 12th, 2014 8:13 PM

--RLM's post: "our mail [in] SE Oak Park routinely arrives well after 6pm, closer to 7 most nights. I did some research and discovered it's not just Oak Park; but USPS had cutbacks and changes in the designations at the sorting facilities and some mail carriers don't get their carry [mail] for the day until as late as 11am, so they are delivering until 7! It's apparently widespread across the country." EXACTLY!

LetterCarrier

Posted: January 12th, 2014 8:12 PM

--Those delivery failures included more than half of the routes in the office on Monday and many routes Tuesday AND Wednesday: WHOLE ROUTES did NOT go out -- AT ALL -- for THREE DAYS! --Commenters have also noted delivery failure for EIGHT days, terrible response to customer inquiry, and spotty service "for a few months now."

LetterCarrier

Posted: January 12th, 2014 8:10 PM

I work for the Postal "Service" in another office, which experienced the same, utterly inexcusable, delivery failures as Oak Park (and Novi, Northville, Livonia, Canton, Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, Jackson, and Chicago) evidently did and can assure you that the issue IS "that simple." Please note ALL that you ignored: --We are NOT just dealing with "junk mail." --There were MASSIVE delivery failures on WEDNESDAY, and full carrier complement was not achieved until THURSDAY.

New to the area from Oak Park

Posted: January 12th, 2014 12:30 PM

@SouthOP: I stand corrected that some of the comments are about a long-standing problem of missed deliveries by the USPS in certain areas. I agree that the local USPS should be more customer friendly to determine if there is a problem. My earlier comments are directed to those statements by others that suggest that the USPS should have made deliveries during or right after the record temps. My experience with logistics is it's never that simple...and safety always trumps junk mail.

Pamela Dale from Apple River

Posted: January 12th, 2014 12:01 PM

I mailed a package to my granddaughter who lives in Chicago on January 4; it has been in Chicago and "out for delivery" since January 6th, it is now January 12th. Every time I have talked to a post office employee they told me the package would be delivered tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow. This could go on forever. When I asked if I could pick the package up the employee would not give me a straight answer. I'm so done with the post office. I used to be a supporter; not any more.

USPoorService

Posted: January 12th, 2014 6:36 AM

I find it ironic that the cost of a postal stamp goes up 3 cents this month. No doubt it is to cover improving costs for better service.

SouthOP

Posted: January 11th, 2014 7:15 PM

New to the area.If you took the time to read the below comments you would see that about 99% of us agree that there should not have been mail service Monday or Tuesday.The fact is this is something that has been going on for a few months now in OP. Mail service is hit or miss. For example...I finally got mail today at 6:45pm..Now the last time I got mail was last Friday 1/4. Meanwhile I spoke to the post office and I am told they are not behind at all, in my mail box today 47 pieces of mail.

New to the area from oak park

Posted: January 11th, 2014 6:05 PM

It's amazing that people are complaining about getting junk mail, a chotchkie ordered via eBay, a bill or maybe (just maybe) a necessity such as a prescription via mail. I'm pretty sure that many of folks who are complaining would not let children outside at -45 temps and would probably not recommend that any of their relatives do outdoor work in the record temperature conditions...but have no problem suggesting that others endanger themselves. Come one people, get over yourselves!!

Violet Aura from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: January 11th, 2014 5:51 PM

@ South OPer: LOL! But perhaps some of your neighbors didn't shovel? It's not enough for some to do it if the others don't. In any case, as I inched my way on the iced sidewalks on that hellacious insanity, otherwise known as yesterday evening's weather, I assumed that there was no way that RF postal workers would brave the elements but I got mail!

South Oak Parker from Oak Park

Posted: January 11th, 2014 5:23 PM

Our walks and steps have always been shoveled. Still, we didn't get mail on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. And, our mail came very late - 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thurs. and Friday.

Oakparkbob

Posted: January 11th, 2014 1:33 PM

Our mail delivery is back to normal. I'm the last person on the route so sometimes it doesn't get there until 7 PM. Again, it's no big deal. It's not just the USPS. I'm waiting for a FedEx delivery that was supposed to be delivered Thursday. No delivery & no update on their website until Friday PM. It will now be delivered on Tuesday - hopefully. And for that I'm paying a helluva lot more than 46 cents! I say no delivery if your walks & steps aren't cleared!

SouthOP

Posted: January 11th, 2014 12:21 PM

Our walkway and stairs as been clear all week! Finally today I got someone at the Post Office to answer....But Yolanda was rude and basically said there is nothing they can do about it.....and get this They are not behind at all! So I am home every day and we have always gotten mail every day....Now suddenly we don't get mail for 8 days now and they are not behind????

Violet Aura from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: January 11th, 2014 11:55 AM

Do any of you South OPers shovel your walks? Maybe if you did, the postman would ring twice!

RLM from Oak Park

Posted: January 11th, 2014 12:27 AM

We didn't get mail Mon & Tuesday and that was alright; it was too cold to check it. However, our mail is SE Oak Park routinely arrives well after 6pm, closer to 7 most nights. I did some research and discovered it's not just Oak Park; but USPS had cutbacks and changes in the designations at the sorting facilities and some mail carriers don't get their carry for the day until as late as 11am, so they are delivering until 7! It's apparently widespread across the country.

Longtimeawaiting from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: January 10th, 2014 7:41 PM

Location- southeast Oak Park. Hallelujah, the mail came.

North OP

Posted: January 10th, 2014 5:43 PM

One mail delivery on Wednesday, just the fliers that I can't seem to cancel. It's 5:42, my mailbox was never frozen and my walk is shoveled. I WANT MY MAIL!

South of the highway from Oak Park

Posted: January 10th, 2014 5:29 PM

No mail again today - so we've received mail once in a week, and that one delivery barely had any mail in it. I guess the rain is the issue today. Looking forward to getting some mail if we have a sunny day in June, before it gets to hot for delivery.

PostalStrike

Posted: January 10th, 2014 5:10 PM

They need to come clean on this. This is a government postal strike. I am writing my congressperson and hope you will do the same.

Jan Patterson from O p

Posted: January 10th, 2014 4:57 PM

4:55 Friday-still no mail- paid $ for an expedited census item for a passport- who know where that is Rumor is a carrier retired/resigned from the post office and that threw everything off- I was told my carrier is still out(told the same thing 3 days in a row- amber alert time

Southop

Posted: January 10th, 2014 4:49 PM

So I just watched out mail lady go to 11 houses on our block...My house was not one of those houses.I put my coat on and walked to the mail lady and asked....today is 1 week since I have gotten any mail...do you know why that is? She stated we are very behind ...the mail I delivered today is Wednesdays mail......or but where is my Sat, mon, tues and wednesday mail?????

Annie from Oak Park

Posted: January 10th, 2014 4:46 PM

I live on Austin across the street from Columbus Park and I haven't had mail since Saturday. When I called them with a tracking number for one of the packages I'm expecting that had no idea where it was.

melissa

Posted: January 10th, 2014 3:12 PM

Oops forgot to mention that my money order is coming from someone in Ilinois, and I've been waiting and waiting! I need that money to buy a freaking bus ticket and because the post office is dragging their @sses, I'll lose out on the discount to buy my ticket a month in advance! HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa

Posted: January 10th, 2014 3:10 PM

I live in Maine and have been waiting for a freaking week for a money order that has not come yet. GET OFF YOUR LAZY BUTS AND DELIVER MY DAMNED MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jon thunderbolt

Posted: January 10th, 2014 1:42 PM

Opening mailboxes with a hammer: "It was like doing surgery." Reminds me of a surgeon I once had....

OP Transplant

Posted: January 10th, 2014 12:48 PM

Hey, Oakparkbob. People could all stop posting because you said so, or they could continue posting their actual experiences with this federal department on a public forum.

Bill Peterman from Oak Park

Posted: January 10th, 2014 11:55 AM

So much for full service being restored Thursday. I live on the 700 block of So. Cuyler and we had no mail delivered on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Did get mail on Tuesday. Trying to call the Post Office, but phone there seems to be off the hook. By now service should be normal, but it isn't close to being so. This is unacceptable!

susan vanek from Oak Park

Posted: January 10th, 2014 8:25 AM

Thank you, Chris, for your comment recognizing the great job Gary did. And thank you Gary.

Patrick from Forest Park

Posted: January 10th, 2014 7:42 AM

My mail is also delivered by the Oak Park south station. For months now, our mail delivery has not been normal. Like others, often we get mail at 5 or 6pm or later with the carrier using a flash light. I didn't get mail Friday, Saturday, Monday or Tuesday but did get it Wednesday. There is something going on at the Oak Park south station. I am sure with the union, it is virtually impossible to fire someone from the post office but this needs looking into further.

Chris Ware from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 11:16 PM

Since I'm assuming/hoping that the Post Office is probably reading the comments appended to this story, we live near Pleasant and Humphrey and simply wanted to thank our postman Gary who, incredibly, worked all day Monday and Tuesday ?" just as he does every day. I'm astounded at the amount of ground he covers and how reliable, trustworthy and friendly he is. Thank you, Gary.

Oakparkbob

Posted: January 9th, 2014 10:54 PM

I live at Home & Monroe. We missed mail on Tuesday & Wednesday. It was delivered about 9:30AM Thursday. No big deal. The whining about missed mail & snowplowing is unbelievable. Stop whining about being inconvenienced for a day or two due to very severe conditions. This whining is from people who sit on their butts 8 hours a day in a warm office or don't even have to go into the office & can work at home!

Roxann Lopez from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 9:09 PM

Maybe all of us who are commenting should call the station tomorrow if we haven't already. I know from working in commercial property management how difficult it is to speak to an actual person at any USPS but if they get a number of calls someone has to answer. Even if they do so only to stop the ringing!

Doug Deuchler from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 8:35 PM

We have only gotten mail once this week. I don't get it. The sub-zero days I can understand. But today?

Get it together USPS mgmt

Posted: January 9th, 2014 8:29 PM

I am not sure what is going on with the S Oak Park delivery. A business keeps its commitments or notifies its customers when it can't. Somehow UPS and FedEx had it together on Wed. When there is a will there is a way USPS mgmt. I do not blame the carriers. It's a mgmt failure. And what is the excuse when I get mail after 8pm at least 1 day/week in normal weather conditions?

chef4u from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 8:09 PM

Well today is Thursday at 8:07 pm. I just returned home from work, and no mail. What happened today?

meetthebeatles

Posted: January 9th, 2014 8:01 PM

I shovel so that mail can easily be delivered while I am at work. I walk to the el and see that many homeowners do not bother to shovel. I have eliminated my junk mail and truly want the mail that I have been waiting and waiting for Keith to deliver. I think mail service should resume. Nice retirement package btww usos folks, can I buy in?

Tyrone from OP

Posted: January 9th, 2014 7:03 PM

I am tired of the complaints about the poor carriers. How about usps hires more veterans. They do retire w/ pension after 25 yrs. I must work twice that. Hire more vets, especially the younger ones without jobs. Some, not all postal workers have that I dont care attitude. Now, its cold and everyone wants to feel bad. Feel bad for the construction workers and furniture movers that work all year round in this wheather. How about the guys over seas in 120 degree deserts. Bleeding heart liberals

Dan Lauber from River Forest

Posted: January 9th, 2014 7:03 PM

Our letter carriers literally bust their butts for us, so I've got no problem at all that we didn't receive mail on Monday or Tuesday. Those were inhumane working conditions. As of today (1/9), we had not received any mail since last Friday -- in fact our whole block had not gotten any. That was a bit bizarre and inexplicable.The USPS is perpetually understaffed thanks to the GOP's efforts make it run like a business. But you can't run government like a business. It's never worked & never can.

Suregato

Posted: January 9th, 2014 6:53 PM

Still missing mail as of this writing since Saturday. This is ridiculous.

Rick Nosek from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 6:52 PM

Since I was quoted in the article, I would like to clarify my take on the issue. My complaint is not with the carriers, who do a tremendous job (ours is outstanding). Rather, it is with the USPS management who fail to communicate with their customers. They could have put out a release with the local papers (who have social media to spread the word), or better yet, had an answer prepared for callers. This is an example of poor customer service.

Speedway from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: January 9th, 2014 6:38 PM

I am perfectly ok with no mail this last Monday and Tuesday. No one should be out in that weather especially mailmen/women. But, I did not get any mail on Wednesday or today. I would think since I didn't get any yesterday it would be a priority today, but not so. I am home and I didn't see anyone on the entire block delivering mail. There is a problem here that needs to be addressed.

SouthOP

Posted: January 9th, 2014 6:29 PM

I understand not getting the mail Monday or Tuesday!! But our mail hardly ever comes! It is hit or miss. When it does come its after 6pm. I have actually thought about getting a PO Box because the mail delivery in Oak Park sucks!

jan patterson from oak park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 6:20 PM

three weeks ago , BEFORE the storm, our mail came after 6:00 every night and the poor mail carrier was wearing a miners cap/flashlight to be able to see the mail. When we told her we didn't think it was safe, she said the delay was in getting the mail to the postoffice.We offered to call, and we tried to but nobody responded. I did post something online. I have nothing but sympathy for the employees but do not pretend that there were not problems before the storm. or that problems will go on

David from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 6:01 PM

Per Wikipedia, the unofficial motto of the post office, that's on the James Farley P.O. in NYC is: Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds. Nothing about extreme cold. I do wonder whether more mail could have been delivered . Could mail carriers have paired up, with one driving a vehicle while the other got out and delivered mail? Maybe they did something like that to get any mail delivered at all

OP Resident # 545 from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 5:57 PM

I certainly am sympathetic to postal workers who venture into subzero temps. I'd even be fine if the PO set a "non-delivery" weather threshold. The reality though, where I live (1 blk S of Green Line) postal "service" such as it is, has been deteriorating for some time. Our mail is regularly delivered after 6:30 PM, sometimes not at all, after 20 years of being delivered before noon. Only explanation is "the route changed", with no one in postmaster's office accountable, or willing to adjust.

South of the highway

Posted: January 9th, 2014 5:56 PM

We didn't get mail on Saturday either. Curious what the excuse was for that day. The days of "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" are long gone - though given how late our mail is usually delivered, I guess they're still on top of the gloom of night part.

aeschlemanp from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 5:55 PM

Can't say that I really missed my daily dose of junk mail. Stay warm and safe.

Roxann Lopez from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: January 9th, 2014 5:52 PM

I live in SE Oak Park and we have only received 4 pieces of mail this week...and that was yesterday at 8AM, not our usual delivery time. I expected that by today we'd be back on track but nothing as of yet, which isn't unusual as of the last few months. Sometimes we don't get delivery until 7PM during the week which makes me wonder why that is if carriers are supposed to be back at the station by 6PM as the article mentions. We have not had a "regular" carrier in over a year.

OP Transplant

Posted: January 9th, 2014 5:36 PM

"I wonder how many of you would be out there compromising your own physical safety." I would if it were MY JOB.

Lisa from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 5:35 PM

I can't believe that people are so mean spirited...it was really cold and if you didn't go to your job, then why do you expect someone who's job is entirely outside to do theirs? All of my bills are paperless, save a tree.

Pat from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 5:33 PM

I am so surprised that there are so many complaints, and such a lack if understanding for the extreme weather conditions and how that would affect the postal workers. I wonder how many of you would be out there compromising your own physical safety. Perhaps the PO needs to set climate standards for their workers to prevent this kind of ingratitude for how hard they work and the great service they provide.

Gail Moran from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: January 9th, 2014 5:31 PM

I was only without mail on January 6th. And I left a tip for the letter carrier, being grateful for those that had to work in such deplorable and dangerous weather. Now UPS is another story - still waiting for things that shipped 1/4 and 1/5.

Suzanne Vestuto from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 5:31 PM

No one should complain about delayed mail! These weather conditions have been extreme & hazardous for mail carriers. Let's be realistic...

Donna Barrows from Oak Park

Posted: January 9th, 2014 5:23 PM

Not just south OP--we live north of Chicago Ave and today's delivery was first since Saturday. Our mail often comes after 6 pm, though, and we've been skipped several times, apparently due to the weather, when others have gotten their mail. Couldn't the carriers do the route in the opposite direction now and then?

lynnette

Posted: January 9th, 2014 5:19 PM

Anyone who got upset because there was no mail delivery needs their head examined. Sto0p being so selfish and try thinking of others for a change.

Find a garage sale near you!