Keep the ban on concealed guns

Opinion: Letters To The Editor

Dear Attorney General Lisa Madigan,

Please do everything you can to keep the ban on concealed guns in Illinois. You work for Illinois, not California or any other state. The people of Illinois, like me and my family and friends, are not at all comfortable with people carrying any sort of gun in public. I do not want anyone walking into my religious establishment of peace and love with a gun. I do not want anyone carrying a concealed weapon into any level of school. This is not Texas, this is Illinois.

If you have a weapon like a gun, it is more likely to be used in a disagreement than peaceful negotiation or mediation or even a fist in a dispute of hot tempers. In the time when the U.S. Constitution was written and in the context of all the protections of rights desired, guns were to be used in defense of the colonies against an oppressive ruler, the King of England's surrogates, and to defend the Europeans against the natives of this continent, to defend themselves against predatory animals, to hunt for food and furs.

The U.S. Constitution writers did not see guns for settling disputes but law, did not see theft but charity as the way to help the poor. There will be too many accidental woundings and fatalities with guns so easily accessible to children, teens, gangs, the mentally ill, thieves and the angry who lack self-discipline.

I would not feel safe anywhere from a violent person with a gun of any kind. I would not feel safe even in my home, knowing any person at my door or an intruder may have a concealed gun. This is not the "Wild West" of the 1800s. When guns are restricted, such as in Canada, England, and Australia, gun violence has decreased.

I would not deny a person in a rural area far from a police officer the right to defend his home and family. While being (almost) a vegetarian, I would not deny someone the right to hunt for food to feed family. But there is just too much violence on TV, in the movies and in our culture. Our federal government is too quick to support weapons manufacturers for their profits.

We need a real change in our culture. Those who keep peace and negotiate and mediate should be our heroes. Voting and courts of law, not war and carrying concealed guns, are the ways we resolve conflicts in this nation at the domestic level.

Leslie Roberts

Oak Park

BJ from Oak Park

Posted: January 20th, 2013 3:30 AM

I think a fair analysis of the evidence shows that if concealed carry has any effect on crime, then it lowers it. Violent criminals can already get guns, and the laws in Oak Park only disarm law abiding citizens. My brother was mugged by kids with a handgun in East Oak Park. They physically attacked him, and if he wasn't able to fight all 3 of them off he'd probably be dead. I've walked that same street many times, and so has my wife. Concealed carry might end this problem.

joe from south oak park

Posted: January 14th, 2013 2:41 PM

Believe me I understand and share the frustration. I just shelled out another $175 to store my target rifle for competition in the Civilian Marksmenship Program off site.

OP Resident # 545 from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2013 12:20 PM

joe, my comment below was not a personal attack. it was a critique on the style and substance (or lack thereof) of letter. my point was that there was no reasoning behing her letter. it was simply an expression of feelings. emotion as opposed to facts and logic. she's of course free to express her feelings, it's just that as ray points out, you can't have a real discussion of issues when one side merely spews emotional diatribe. Peace, out.

Uncommon Sense

Posted: January 14th, 2013 12:01 PM

This is the problem with the "conversation" about gun control. No amount of data, logic, and facts seems to matter to gun grabbers. Discussing this issue with the left is like trying to discuss religion with fundamentalist on the right. I posted FBI data showing more people are killed each year from fist fights than "assault rifles", yet people Leslie are led to believe we have some sort of firearms epidemic from the mainstream media.

Ray Simpson from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2013 11:13 AM

Joe - we try very hard to support our position with facts and data. We are then countered with feelings and beliefs that are not supported by truth. You are right we should always take the high road. The right to speak your mind is not challenged by our side of the issue. Often it is hard to express 'rolling your eyes' in words and we stoop to calling a spade a spade.

joe from south oak park

Posted: January 14th, 2013 11:01 AM

There is really no reason for the personal attacks against Ms. Roberts. She has an opinion and every right to express what she thinks. Lets try to keep the critique to the reasoning behind her arguments and not to writing style or composition.

Ray Simpson from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2013 10:41 AM

OPR 545 - feel sorry for poor Leslie - All of the blood has been wrung out of her hands to the point it will be mid-elections before we get a peace sign flashed to us.

OP Resident # 545 from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2013 9:40 AM

As simplistic and childish a letter that WJ has ever printed, which is really saying something. Leslie also could use a course in the Constitution, but since the letter could have been written by a middle schooler, maybe she'll take the course in 8th grade. Let's hope....

Ray Simpson from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2013 8:21 AM

O.K. in a confrontation I want to mediate and negotiate, the other party wants to kill me - please tell me how you would see this situation resolving itself? If the other party isn't sure whether I can defend my self with force the situation takes one path. On the other hand, if the person knows for a fact that their potential force far exceeds mine an entirely different outcome happens. It is not the actual possession of a firearm that is the protection it is the question of wether one exists. Even those of you that abhor guns benefit from this uncertainty. The creation of an OK corral society is just not supported by the data from the concealed carry states.

Ray Simpson from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2013 8:04 AM

Joe - not a 'problem' it is a 'crisis' not to let go to waste as Rham put it. We are a narrow minded community in a narrow minded state. Is it any wonder that all 49 other states are now better places to live and work?

joe from south oak park

Posted: January 13th, 2013 10:24 PM

How exactly do you plan to do that? Last I heard the Illinois supreme court decided the ban is unconstitutional. Ms. Roberts I challenge you to look at the statistics for shootings that occur with licensed CCW holders. Including suicides, the US averages about 100 shootings a year nationally, according to the Violence Policy Center which is a pretty biased group. NOAA says we average around 54 deaths from lightning strikes annually. Is this really that much of a problem?

Find a garage sale near you!