Oak Park and River Forest schools closed Monday

Updated:

By Graham Johnston

Manager of Internet and Technology

With temperatures predicted to plummet below zero digits and wind chills to reach minus 45, Oak Park and River Forest schools have canceled all classes and activities on Monday.

No classes were scheduled at OPRF on Monday for an Institute Day but the high school has announced the school will be entirely closed and no activities or practices will take place.

List of schools closed in Oak Park:

* Trinity High School

*Concordia University

Contact:
Email: gjohnston@wjinc.com Twitter: @OakPark

OP Transplant

Posted: January 7th, 2014 2:03 PM

Darwin - Nonsense. I went to work yesterday. I put gas in my car, and stopped at both CVS and Jewel. All open - nobody being treated for frostbite, as far as I could see. Saw people waiting for the bus on Harlem. Kids roaming Lake Street. No ambulances caring for the injuries that the news told me were inevitable. Obviously, stay out of the cold as much as possible, but people have been living in northern Illinois a long time.

Let Darwin handle this

Posted: January 6th, 2014 6:02 PM

With the current windchills leading to frostbite after about 10 min of exposure, maybe those suggesting school be in session could stand outside for half an hour or so then let us know from the hospital ER how that goes and whether school should be closed.

Michael Nevins

Posted: January 6th, 2014 5:09 PM

@Laughing - the purpose of my post was not intended to be an "in my day!" reminiscion, but to introduce both impersonal facts (Trib link) and personal experiences in order to further the discussion regarding the decisions made by school districts (and my daughter's university in Evanston) to close today and tomorrow. I'm unclear, though, as to the purpose of your anonymous post, but, mistakenly or not, its tone did bring back memories of my childhood (K-8) years at Irving school - thanks a lot!

OP Transplant

Posted: January 6th, 2014 4:40 PM

Laughing - While today's cancellation makes sense, tomorrow's seems a little random. We've certainly had school many times on days that were as cold as tomorrow is expected to be. There seems to be no policy in place regarding when school is cancelled due to cold, which leads people to question why the district cancels one 10-degree day and has school on others. Reasonable concerns from parents who pay taxes and may have to miss work to stay home with their kids.

Laughing At All of You

Posted: January 6th, 2014 2:49 PM

Why is this town so filled with whiners and show-offs? "In MY day, schools weren't closed...MY taxes...it isn't necessary....what about money...." blah blah blah. NO ONE CARES. It is ridiculously cold out. Stay in, stay warm, and stop whining.

MIchael Nevins

Posted: January 6th, 2014 2:39 PM

Cold? Too cold? Need OPRF and every school closed? Per the Trib, today doesn't even rank in the top 13 and I know that OPRF wasn't closed "for cold" during these colder days in the 80's: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-chicago-coldest-days-20140106,0,6559360.story. I was then a college student at UIC and NIU and we were always open. Further, my wife was then a high school (Burnsville) and college student (Duluth/Mnpls) in MUCH colder Minnesota and her schools were NOT closed, either.

OParkLifer from Oak Park

Posted: January 6th, 2014 2:21 PM

In my opinion, the decisions being made are more in the area of caution than neccisity. What many parents do not understand is that you have students who are not properly dressed and who take public transportation to school. With conditions as they are, anything could happen in regards to these student's health and well being.

OP Resident # 545 from Oak Park

Posted: January 6th, 2014 2:15 PM

As an OPRF parent, my initial reaction to closing school Tuesday was "why?". Yes, it's cold, but it will be slowly improving...I really don't get it. Teachers & admin will have had a day to get their stuff together, & the students had today off anyway. I'm trying to be sensitive to everyone involved, but keep coming back to the thought that a 2nd day closed is not necessary. Inconvenient, yes. Necessary, no. I don't think this makes me a bad guy, though I'm sure I'll get pushback. So be it.

SCHOOL IS OUT

Posted: January 6th, 2014 2:06 PM

both d97 and 200 closed tomorrow, also.

Tired of Taxes from Oak Park

Posted: January 6th, 2014 9:43 AM

Good decision. My kids go to OPRF, so they were already closed today. I just wish they would enforce the even/odd day snow route rules. Someone left a car in front of our house and now it is plowed in. Two less places to park in front of our house. now.

Mp

Posted: January 6th, 2014 12:01 AM

Eric J, read the news buddy. The governor of Minnesota cancelled schools statewide. Even Fargo, ND canceled classes. This cold is deadly, and no ones laughing at us for canceling classes. Keep telling yourself how tough growing up in St Louis made you and how weak kids are nowadays.

Dan Lauber from River Forest

Posted: January 5th, 2014 11:31 PM

It continues to astound me how so many school districts waited until Sunday to cancel Monday classes. Most guilty is the Chicago Public Schools - what are they thinking? Why delay the obvious when closing the schools will require working parents to scramble to find alternative care for their children? The decision to close should have been made and publicized last Friday when it was well known how dangerous it would be to go outside this Monday.

Eric J

Posted: January 5th, 2014 10:43 PM

I am imaging people in WI, MN and Canada laughing their chilly butts off that we have become a city of group-think wussies. I grew up in St Louis and I remember my cousins in Chicago bragging that they NEVER got off school for winter weather

Eric from Oak Park

Posted: January 5th, 2014 8:58 PM

Hey now. It's been Julian *Middle School* for over a decade now. Or do the sixth graders need to report for class? #onceajayhawkalwaysajayhawk

Bill D

Posted: January 5th, 2014 7:02 PM

@Stranded: Sure hope my flight TO Miami on Wednesday isn't cancelled. Trust me, if you have to pick one or the other to be stranded at, you're without doubt in the better place.

Bridgett from Oak Park

Posted: January 5th, 2014 6:04 PM

@Stranded? I too am in Florida right now. Miami. Watching all this from a distance. Eek. Be safe, my neighbors!

Stranded?

Posted: January 5th, 2014 5:35 PM

Sure hope my flight from Florida on Tuesday is not canceled. Not.

Donna from Oak Park

Posted: January 5th, 2014 5:27 PM

Common sense prevails!

Bill D

Posted: January 5th, 2014 4:13 PM

Wise decision.

Violet Aura from Nunya, USA

Posted: January 5th, 2014 3:34 PM

Thank goodness they made the decision far enough in advance! I can understand when it snows more than expected. Back in the day it was such a rush to eagerly listen to news radio for school closures and hear OP mentioned! But we know that it's going to be crazy cold for the next two days so cancelling now is the smart thing to do!

Find a garage sale near you!