Arthur Stanley Martin, 92, formerly of River Forest, died on Jan. 6, 2011 in Edina, Minn. Born on July 25, 1918, in Evanston to Stanley Martin and Grace Griffin Martin, he attended Oak Park and River Forest High School, Yale University and the University of Chicago. After graduating from Northwestern University Dental School in 1943, he served in the Navy during World War II and continued to serve in the Naval Reserves for 20 years.
A 33-year resident of River Forest and 27-year resident of Barrington, he practiced dentistry for 50 years in downtown Chicago in the Marshall Field's Annex at 25 E. Washington St. He was a member of the American Dental Association, the Chicago Dental Society, the Odontographic Society of Chicago, and the Chiselers Club. He was also a member of the University Club of Chicago, the Oak Park Country Club, the Antique & Classic Boat Society, the Chicago Maritime Society, the Historical Society of Michigan, the Keweenaw County Historical Society, and former president of the River Forest Tennis Club.
Since age 7, he sang in church choirs at St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Evanston; First Baptist Church, Oak Park; St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Barrington; and Central Mine Methodist Church in Michigan. His presence will be missed in his beloved Upper Peninsula of Michigan, especially in the family log house at Copper Harbor that he and his father built in 1933.
Arthur Martin is survived by his children, Jay (Deanna), Carolyn (Charles) Meyer, and Constance; his five grandchildren; and his six great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by Betty Pickett Martin, his wife of 59 years, and his son, Bruce.
Memorials may be sent to Central Mine Methodist Church Preservation Fund, c/o Larry Molloy, treasurer, 23920 Willowbrook Drive, Novi, MI 48375; or to the Copper Harbor Improvement Association, P.O. Box 86, Copper Harbor, MI 49918.
Hire Local for FREE!
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Photo store||Contact us|
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|