Oak Park police report that eight vehicles were burglarized between the evening of Jan. 17 and the early morning of Jan. 18. The burglaries include:
- A $200 Garmin GPS stolen from a vehicle in the 600 block of S. East Ave.
- A leather rainbow change purse with cash worth $10 was stolen from a vehicle in the 700 block of S. Carpenter Ave.
- No loss was reported from vehicles burglarized in the 600 and 700 blocks of South Carpenter Avenue, the 600 block of South Wesley Avenue, and the 600 block of South Grove Avenue.
- Another vehicle burglarized in the 600 block of South Grove suffered only loss due to damage. The burglar caused an estimated $2,000 worth of damage to the vehicle's dashboard in an attempt to steal the radio.
- A garage was burglarized in the 700 block of South Kenilworth Avenue. The burglar gained entry to the garage and stole a $155 pair of Rayban sunglasses from the vehicle parked inside.
Criminal trespass arrest
- A 19-year-old resident of the 400 block of South Taylor Avenue in Oak Park, was arrested at his home at 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 14 for a criminal trespass to motor vehicle warrant.
- A 20-year-old Maywood resident was arrested along with three Chicago juveniles at three locations in Oak Park — 1101 N. Euclid, 1200 N. Oak Park Ave. and the intersection of Euclid and Greenfield — and charged with criminal trespass to motor vehicles throughout Oak Park and River Forest. The arrests took place between 4:40 and 4:55 p.m. on Jan. 14.
- A vehicle was burglarized in the 1100 block of South Lombard sometime between 8:45 a.m. on Jan. 16 and 9:04 p.m. on Jan. 17. The offender removed the victim's wallet, which contained miscellaneous identification valued at $10.
- A vehicle was burglarized in the 300 block of South Grove Avenue sometime between 6 p.m. on Jan. 13 and 6 a.m. on Jan. 14. The burglar ransacked the vehicle and took an iPhone charger. The estimated loss is $20.
- An apartment was burglarized in the 200 block of North Oak Park Avenue, sometime between 7 a.m. on Jan. 11 and 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 15. The burglar entered by unknown means and stole a 55-inch LG television, an iPhone 7, an iPad Air, cash, two containers of laundry detergent and 12 rolls of toilet paper. The estimated loss is $2,128.
- The silver 2016 Nissan Altima that was stolen from the Hertz car rental, 629 Madison St., at 12:20 p.m. on Sept. 12, 2017, was recovered by the Des Plaines Police Department at 2:33 p.m. on Jan. 16. No apprehensions were made.
- Two men stole $363.93 worth of Rogaine hair care products — seven boxes total — from Walgreens, 6412 W. Roosevelt Rd., at 6:30 p.m. on Jan. 21. They were last seen headed eastbound in the Roosevelt alley from Ridgeland.
- Two Chicago men from the 100 block of North Pine were arrested in the 400 block of South Boulevard at 10:09 p.m. on Jan. 21, and charged with theft. No additional detail was given.
- Someone stole 25 feet of copper downspout from a residence in the 700 block of Superior around 4 a.m. on Jan. 13. The total loss is unknown.
Harassment by electronic communication
A 32-year-old Alsip woman was arrested at 10:30 a.m. on Jan. 19 in the 1500 block of Maybrook Drive in Maywood and charged with harassment by electronic communication. The victim was identified as an Oak Park resident.
An Oak Park woman was walking in the 400 block of North Austin Boulevard at 6:35 a.m. on Jan. 13, when a man walking in the same direction said, "Don't worry about it. Just walk with me." He then pushed her with both hands and attempted to grab her. She began screaming and the man fled northbound on Austin and westbound on Ontario.
Criminal damage to property
- Someone cut up five cone barriers and threw several ladders around the parking lot of Unity Church, 405 N. Euclid Ave., causing approximately $40 in damage. The incident happened sometime between 5 p.m. on Jan. 12 and 8:05 a.m. on Jan. 14.
- The back window of a vehicle was damaged by unknown means in the 100 block of North Grove Avenue sometime between 1 p.m. on Jan. 11 and 2:10 p.m. on Jan. 13. The estimated damage is $200.
- Police suspect a projectile was used to break the side front window of a vehicle in the 700 block of North Marion Street sometime between 4 and 10 a.m. on Jan. 14.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park and River Forest police departments, came from reports, Jan. 11-21, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public's help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Timothy Inklebarger
Answer Book 2017
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2017 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|