The post office is only good for junk mail

Opinion: Letters To The Editor

Our block (900 Monroe Ave., River Forest) has been the victim of poor postal service for several years. We frequently miss mail on Mondays as that is the carrier's day off and no sub is provided. I was told by a supervisor that the carrier is on limited duty and when she is tired, she just stops delivering for that day. In the recent cold spell, we received mail three times over an eight-day delivery period.

I have talked to Theresa Thurman, the local postmaster, three times but there is no improvement. No wonder we are all relying more on email, direct deposit and direct payment of bills.

The USPS is useful only for junk mail.

Charles Vietzen Sr.

River Forest

Bronwyn Soell from Oak Park

Posted: February 6th, 2014 11:11 AM

This made me laugh out loud. Since moving back to Oak Park sometimes we get our mail. Sometimes we get our landlady's mail. December child support check from bank- didn't get it. Tons and tons of flyers, credit card offers and junk mail? ALWAYS get those.

Violet Aura from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: January 30th, 2014 12:15 PM

South OPer: It seems quite obvious to me: they have probably had budget cuts and therefore less postal workers to deliver the mail, not to mention the harsh weather backing things up. The USPS is being forced to fund 70 years of pensions in 10 years. Why do you think this is so? No other reason but to PRIVATIZE it and the first step (like the public school system implementing that clusterphuck otherwise known as NCLB) is to destroy it w/ these disasterous polices. Wake up and smell the fascism!

South OP'er from Oak Park

Posted: January 30th, 2014 11:43 AM

Our mail is delivered at 9:45 p.m. Something is not right at the South Station Post Office. Why should the carrier have to be on duty so late?

Violet Aura from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: January 28th, 2014 2:28 PM

I got mail yesterday in that arctic blast. Was very appreciative to the carrier for braving the elements. I would like to see some of you soft-bottomed guys get off your arses and do what they do.

OP Transplant

Posted: January 28th, 2014 2:09 PM

I've spent enough time in post offices to suspect that all USPS employees are on limited duty.

South OP'er from Oak Park

Posted: January 28th, 2014 2:03 PM

Gizmodog: How many other jobs would allow a person to stop doing their work because they were tired? We did not get mail yesterday (Jan. 28) and we probably won't get it today, either. UNHAPPY

Gizmodog

Posted: January 24th, 2014 3:17 PM

"I was told by a supervisor that the carrier is on limited duty and when she is tired, she just stops delivering for that day." How does this person keep their job? Why does the postmaster put a limited duty employee out on a route?

Violet Aura from Undisclosed Location with Big Dick Cheney

Posted: January 24th, 2014 10:22 AM

should be doing herself. Sometimes there is not the sense of urgency that I expect with long lines but I still honor their challenges overall.

Violet Aura from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: January 24th, 2014 10:21 AM

Charles, I live in South RF and we seem not to get it on Saturdays. I am okay with that. YOU try to deliver the mail. YOU try to run a business where you have to fund 70 years of pension in a decade. I think they are doing great under the circumstances. The one quibble I have is at the RF Post Office. I think when lines form they should open up another window. I have an employee who noticed the line but did nothing. It got comical because one employee was helping a customer do stuff she...

heretoserveyou from oak park

Posted: January 24th, 2014 10:13 AM

These comments only come out when your service is terrible.Charles how about the many years many days when you had a regular carrier.The problem is these post offices are short staffed.Blame Phil Crawford not Thurman she is just a puppet. Call Danny Davis office,these offices need new leadership,these are the worst since Postmaster Ron Pus

Speedway from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: January 22nd, 2014 5:43 PM

To Wondering - It's easy to say if you are getting your mail six days a week. I am with Charles who are on the twice a week schedule ahead of everyone else.

Wondering

Posted: January 22nd, 2014 4:14 PM

Don't know about Charles but I would be satisfied with twice a week mail delivery. What is ever in the mail requiring you to get it delivered to your house every single day? The USPS is outdated to where no more than twice a week is necessary. Relax Charles and enjoy life. You'll be much happier.

Find a garage sale near you!