Oak Park doctor allegedly offered drugs for sex

Updated:

By Marty Stempniak

An Oak Park physician was in police custody last Friday after allegedly offering prescription drugs on Craigslist in exchange for sex.

Undercover Wilmette police arrested Joshua Baron, 37, on Jan. 13, according to a news release. Officers there had responded to a posting by Baron on the free classified ad website, Craigslist. Over the course of a week, Baron and police exchanged e-mails in which the doctor allegedly offered the illegal drugs in exchange for “sex acts.” Police arrested Baron when he traveled to Wilmette to complete the exchange, according to the release.

Baron was charged with felony attempted delivery of a controlled substance and misdemeanor solicitation of a sex act. A judge reportedly set his bond at $2,000, and another court date is scheduled for Jan. 21 in Skokie.

Wilmette police did not return calls seeking comment, and a phone call to Baron’s south Oak Park home Friday was not answered.

Baron is a child neurologist and assistant professor at Rush University Medical Center, having relocated here about four years ago from Boston. Deb Song, a spokesperson for Rush, said that Baron had worked out of both the Oak Park and Chicago locations of the hospital since July 2006. He has been suspended from his position, pending further investigation, Song said, and his profile has since been removed from the university’s website.

Baron and his family were profiled by Wednesday Journal in June for their attempts to raise $30,000 in order to adopt a blind, 5-year-old Chinese boy.

GianniV

Posted: January 21st, 2011 11:34 AM

When is Eliot Spitzer going to jail? Oh wait, he's a liberal, so he gets a TV show.

Violet Aura

Posted: January 18th, 2011 7:35 PM

OP Resident: We're done here. You are just jerking around and I am not interested. The bottom line is you end your rambling statement with an accusation that WJ ruined this man's life, as if Baron did nothing to cause this all to happen and it's all WJ's fault. You are obviously very sympathetic to the behavior he displayed, which suggests that you also engage in such behavior and minimize its negative impact. Well, you would be wrong. Do what you will but have the cajones to be honest.

OP Resident

Posted: January 18th, 2011 1:30 PM

VA>> Thse facts please. Please reread my post. Facts .. not opinion .. not conjecture.

Violet Aura

Posted: January 18th, 2011 1:21 PM

@OP Resident: Not sure exactly what you are alluding to in your obtuse post, but again--if any person who is married wants to swing from the chandeliers with a woman on each arm, dressed like Peter Pan, go for it. But if someone goes through the motions of getting married and has a secret life, then that is where s/he crosses the line IMO. It has nothing to do with "narrow views"; it has to do with honesty. A spouse deserves to know if you are having sex with others! Is that too much to ask?

OP Resident

Posted: January 18th, 2011 12:10 PM

I believe this is Yellow journalism and my previous post was removed. Why permit only those opinions that conform to the Oak Park narrow notion of social standards and practice? Why not let free will decisions pertaining to "abuse" be the burden of all but those that freely elect to allow such issues to perturb their simple and self inflicted fragile minds? Why have perpetually forbidden subject matters, laced with mob mentality, closed minded to alternative views and opinions? Sheltering away different points of view, behaving tyrannical, the insecure Oak Parkers cower. Good luck with your kids. Please present proven facts please. You have help ruin this man's life while promoting free housing /food/education/transportation for poor single moms.

Agree w/V. from Oak Park

Posted: January 17th, 2011 5:44 PM

Hey Violet - gotta agree w/you - being honest, being faithful, being ethical doesn't make you a prude.... just less drama in ones life and fewer STD's - call that smart, actually.

Violet Aura

Posted: January 17th, 2011 10:44 AM

@Will: Didn't you get the memo? The '70s were the Me-decade and now we live in the Not Me-decade. Blame the teachers, blame the police, blame the media but God forbid we ever take responsibilities for our decisions. A person who cheats lacks intregity and anyone trying to absolve themselves of responsibility by calling me a prude are truly pathetic and must be dishonest people. Want an open marriage? Go for it! Wanna swing? Fine. Want to not have sex with your wife? TELL HER.

Will

Posted: January 16th, 2011 4:02 PM

I feel for all involved but WJ didn't do this to the family, Mr. Baron did this to his family. Ever hear of don't shoot the messenger? Blaming WJ for this embarrassment is like blaming the bakery for being overweight.

Hope forthe Best from op

Posted: January 15th, 2011 11:49 PM

First time offender...sohopefully they'll goeasy on him and he'lo reform.

Wed is biased from op

Posted: January 15th, 2011 11:48 PM

They tried toadopt a blind kid but that's the last thing the wej jrl reported. biased.

Not a Prude from op

Posted: January 15th, 2011 11:47 PM

I feel bad for the family...we allmake mistakes of passion.

Allan from op

Posted: January 15th, 2011 11:47 PM

Sad

OP Resident

Posted: January 15th, 2011 9:59 PM

VA >> you have not been with your SO either. Get in touch with Les maybe he can help.

Violet Aura

Posted: January 15th, 2011 4:56 PM

You are absolutely right--I have not been cheating on my significant other. Give me some of your favorite lies that you tell.

OP Resident

Posted: January 15th, 2011 4:40 PM

Violet it is about IT. As in you have not been doing it. And yes you sound like a prude. As MC Hammer said you can't touch this. You and Les should get together.

Shame on WJ

Posted: January 15th, 2011 4:00 PM

I agree with Art, this really brings you to a despicable place, this is a real low point for you. Shame on WJ and your utter lack of humanity and forethought. I feel bad for the family due to your insensitivity.

Violet Aura

Posted: January 15th, 2011 12:41 PM

OP Resident: Um...whaa...??! What does "full of my relationship" even mean? And then you call me a prude--why? Because I think people who go to the trouble to get married should actually be honest with their spouses? If you didn't get my drift, I am in a longterm relationship but am not married. Of course people who are married go to great lengths to show off to the world how in love they are with their mate. And it's mean for me to put down cheaters? I love how everyone puts down WJ & not Doc.

Art from Oak Park

Posted: January 15th, 2011 11:52 AM

WJ report the news but don't hurt an innocent wife and 3 children. By posting the links you published their photos too. These are good people. Your reporting disgusts me!

Waylon Jennings from Mesa City Cemetery

Posted: January 14th, 2011 10:09 PM

I was looking for love in all the wrong places ....

OP Resident

Posted: January 14th, 2011 9:10 PM

Violet, You sound sooo full of your relationship. I bet your other half is a newt. Why are prudes so mean?

Violet Aura

Posted: January 14th, 2011 8:46 PM

Wendy: And if he is proven "guilty," would that make him evil? Let me play amateur shrink here: if he did it, he most likely has a sexual addiction. Someone as bright as he must be would have sense not to place an ad on Craigslist but when you are in the throes of an addiction, all bets are off. I do think there is a spiritual lesson here: for all those who treat human beings according to a pecking order, doctors are at the top of the list and they are capable of unsavory behavior, too.

Violet Aura

Posted: January 14th, 2011 8:43 PM

Sweetie, I have been in a longterm relationship for almost 30 years so don't go to Vegas because perhaps you are not a betting man. If you crave excitement so much, why get married and have kids? It's not ethical to live a double life. If you wanna be a player, go have the cajones to tell the missuz wassup and then do what you want. But don't be a dishonest person and pretend to be something you are not. I think that is the kind of false "excitement" you crave and it's really anger at her.

Ron from Oak park

Posted: January 14th, 2011 8:17 PM

Violet, I like your posts, but I bet you are not married with kids, especially with all your spare time for comments. Marriage is tough at times, even good people can stray, not me of course. It does make life more excited tough.

Wendy

Posted: January 14th, 2011 8:16 PM

I know this family well and they are good people. I don't disagree that the arrest is newsworthy but let's not forget that he is innocent until proven guilty.

Violet Aura

Posted: January 14th, 2011 7:49 PM

Um...If you are bored and wanna go to Vegas, at least have the decency to tell your wife that you are gonna cheat on her and to be on the look out for diseases when you get your sorry ass home. Oh and why the eff get married in the first place if you are so easily bored?

Violet Aura

Posted: January 14th, 2011 7:42 PM

Why was my comment removed? I asked why the WJ did not specify the gender of the potential hookup. Why is this question unacceptable? I really, really hope this is not some censoring job done in order to avoid the dreaded "homophobic" accusation. Normally, I don't really care about such things, but when it comes to a man in a hetero marriage, I think the question is legit. Honestly I think prostitution should be legal but those who are running around behind their spouses' backs should be exposed

Ron from oak park

Posted: January 14th, 2011 7:41 PM

Lots of guys are bored and looking for some action without the drama. So paying may be the way to go. But with cash, not drugs. That's where he really messed up. Go to Vegas. He's a doc. Should have been smarter.

Yolanda from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2011 6:35 PM

I would like to say the WJ did it's job. I live next door to this man, so I wan't to know this. I would like to see his family protected. You now have his sons classmates reading this. OP is still perfect by the way, we all make mistakes.

Dissapointed

Posted: January 14th, 2011 4:29 PM

No, not shame on the Wednesday Journal. Their job is to report the news, and that is exactly what they did. Shame on Joshua Baron for putting his family through this humiliation. It is our right to know what goes on in our community and what our residents are doing (when it comes to crime that is). We will not judge his family for his actions, only him. Thanks, Marty.

Kathy from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2011 4:18 PM

To suggest that this is not news is silly. Johns do NOT deserve special protection (and in fact should be the ones prosecuted, not prostitutes, if society wants to reduce prostitution). And what this guy did, as a doctor, falls into another class entirely. Even so, the link to the earlier article violates the privacy of his family. His wife and children will experience great pain due to events described in this story. No reason to victimize them further by pointing out this tie. Shame on WJ.

Melissa

Posted: January 14th, 2011 4:10 PM

I agree, though I was a Rush employee for many years, it should say OP resident not OP doc...I, too, assumed he practiced in Oak Park.

Lisa from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2011 3:13 PM

To the person asking "why is this news?" it the Wednesday Journal always reports known area crimes. This guy broke the law, "johns" don't deserve special protection.

JMK from Oak Park

Posted: January 14th, 2011 2:56 PM

Title should say Oak Park resident and not OP Physician. Title would have one assume he practices in the area.

OP Resident

Posted: January 14th, 2011 2:54 PM

Having never utilized the offerings nor even scanned the listings on Craig's List, I was stunned to learn that someone is able to post an offer to exchange drugs for any type of service or consideration. What purpose does it serve the community at large to provide an outlet that enables someone to promote an illegal activity? Do the owners of Craig's List bear any responsibility? They seem to be operating a criminal enterprise.

Why is this news?

Posted: January 14th, 2011 2:34 PM

Look, creep or not, this guy has kids, shame on you for publishing this and linking to the prior article. Why is this news?

Sarah from Corbin

Posted: January 14th, 2011 1:14 PM

Sigh - is it wrong that I was happy to see he wasn't a physician at an office in Oak Park.

Dissapointed

Posted: January 14th, 2011 1:05 PM

How could this happen?? OakPark was supposed to be perfect. Shame.

Find a garage sale near you!