At the Oak Park Farmer's Market on Saturday, we saw sorrel for sale at Nichol's. Now, I was at Nichol's last week, too, and even though the prices at this vendor are not always the lowest, I have to hand it to them: they are always experimenting with new products to offer the farmers' market shopper.
I bought the sorrel for like three bucks. Back home, I pondered how to prepare it. I finally decided to treat it like any dark leafy vegetable: I chopped it up and sautéed it in olive oil.
It tasted a lot like spinach (and like spinach, it needs to be washed well before eating: I rinsed mine twice and there was still some grit in there).
I ate about half the bunch (maybe 4 oz), and put the rest in the refrigerator.
Maybe it's good I didn't eat the whole bunch.
Researching online I discovered that sorrel's sometimes sharp taste is due to oxalic acid, which in large quantities can prove fatal (!).
Now, before you freak out and forego ever visiting Nichol's again, let me point out that many common vegetables can be fatal if not cooked. I've written before about chaya, the Mexican leaf that's poisonous unless cooked, and the more common potato contains solanine, a known poison, but the concentrations are usually only dangerous in green potatoes or potato flowers.
I liked the sorrel. I'd buy it again. And at three bucks for a small bag, it's very unlikely that I'll ever buy enough to be fatal.
*WTF is acronym for "What at The Farmers' market." Why, what did you think the acronym meant?
Hire Local for FREE!
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|