By Ken Trainor
Thomas Heinz apparently isn't a fan of the Wright-designed homes in Oak Park and River Forest. Despite the fact that some two dozen of Wright's homes can be found in these two communities, the largest concentration in the country, Heinz, who just published the Frank Lloyd Field Guide, was asked by USA Today to name his some of his favorites. He came up with 10, none from Oak Park or River Forest.
Here's his list:
1. B. Harley Bradley House in Kankakee (see today's WJ Homes story, "Wright around the corner," page 36).
2. Samara House in West Lafayette, Indiana.
3. David and Gladys Wright House (presumably the only Wright Wright House) in Phoenix, Arizona.
4. Rosenbaum House in Florence, Alabama.
5. Kentucky Knob in Chalk Hill, Pennsylvania.
6. Emil Balch House on the North Side of Chicago (the Oscar Balch House in Oak Park, across from the Hemingway Boyhood Home, was on this year's Wright Plus walk).
7. Hanna House in Palo Alto, California.
8. American System-Built Homes in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
9. Henry J. Allen House in Wichita, Kansas.
10. Zimmerman House in Manchester, New Hampshire.
Hard to believe he couldn't come up with one from our towns. But, as Wright well knew, there's no accounting for taste.
Answer Book 2018
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2018 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|