|Share on Facebook|
|Share on Twitter|
We have to agree with Art Linkletter, "kids say the darndest things." At Oak Park Public Library, we love to capture and share these gems. Here are some of the things we managed to write down in the midst of helping our youngest visitors.
• Two boys were negotiating about which game to pick from our stack of fun board games. After a lot of discussion, one said, "Let's just go read a book together!" "Ok!"
• One sweetie showed us her new watch. "What time is it," we asked. "It's time to go to the library."
• Another one asked us for help finding DVDs about presidents. We asked "which presidents?" Her response, "George and John." She's on a first name basis!
• Kid: "My pants got wet in the rain." Librarian: "Oh no—did you get caught in the rain?" Kid: "Oh no…NO, …I SING in the rain!"
• There was an inventive young child playing pretend school at our Main Library Homework Hub – he was both the teacher and the student!
• One youngster explained to us, "there are two camps of kids at my school, Percy Jackson and Harry Potter. If I read a Percy Jackson book, I'd be a traitor! It's Gods vs. Wizards!"
• Before she "went to Australia" our gerbil Ramona was serenaded to the tune of the Star Spangled Banner: "Oh say can you see, by the great hamster ball…"
• One kid brought a VHS cassette tape up to our service desk and asked, "What the heck is this thing?!"
• Of course our all-time favorite is the child who had a melt-down at the exit, screaming "books, books, I need more books!"
Some of our adult and teen visitors are also worth quoting:
• "I've never seen such a smiley group of librarians. I can tell you love what you do."
• "My wife and I just moved to Oak Park, and we can't get over this library. It should be on a HGTV show or something."
• "I just want to thank you. I knew this library would be open on Martin Luther King Day. It's an honor to him to have everybody reading."
• Dad arriving at a storytime: "Can I have a name tag for the Terrible 2's?" Us: "We call them the Terrific 2's." Dad: "I prefer Terrible."
• A comment that came after using our chat service: "I looked on my own first, and came here to try to help me find more valuable information. It was good and helpful and was a lot – much, much quicker than if I was just sorting through my own search results."
And a few more comments on Twitter:
• "I just love my library! They have an app!!!"
• "I absolutely ADORE my library, @oakparklibrary. I just finished the first ebook that I reserved, checked out, and read on my android phone!"
• "I just love when my teenager asks me to pick up a book from @oakparklibrary Books live!"
We love to hear how the library impacts your life, so feel free to drop us a note or chat with us when you visit.
Find a garage sale near you!
In search of local garage sales? Find out what sales are happening near you on our map and listing page.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|