Courtesy Shane Arman
WHAT: One month away from July 19 opening of the National Senior Games in Cleveland, Bob O'Connor, 67, of River Forest, Ill. will receive NSGA's Personal Best award. O'Connor epitomizes a new definition of "personal best" as the ongoing journey on and off the field to strive for fitness, health and wellness while inspiring others to be active and live longer, better quality lives.
Dr. Bob O'Connor has dominated the 800 meter event at the Illinois State Senior Games by winning the competition six years in a row, including 2013. O'Connor, who is a psychologist, will try to win his first national medal in the 800 meter event at the 2013 National Senior Games presented by Humana starting July 19 in Cleveland. Other key accomplishments for the Personal Best winner include:
- Being part of a University of Chicago Track Club relay team that set an indoor two-mile world record in 1969; the same team members reunited and set a master's record in the same event 13 years later.
- After tearing his Achilles in 2001, one doctor told him he would never compete again. But after two years of recovery and re-teaching himself how to walk, O'Connor continues to run five times per week
The program will feature remarks and words of support for O'Connor from:
- Marc T. Riker, chief executive officer of NSGA
- Dr. Terry Nicola, University of Illinois Hospital - Sports Therapy Center
- Jennifer Phillips, Illinois Senior Olympics
- Dr. Fred Tolin, vice president for Humana in Illinois
Leading up to and after the 2013 National Senior Games in Cleveland, NSGA will continue recognizing senior athletes at in-market events across the United States. For more information about Personal Best Award recipients and for full athlete profiles and photos, please visit www.NSGA.com.
WHEN: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 Ceremony 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. CDT
WHERE: Ritz-Carlton Chicago
Salon Room - 12th Floor, Main Lobby Level
160 East Pearson Street at Water Tower Place
Chicago, Illinois 60611-2308
Find a garage sale near you!
In search of local garage sales? Find out what sales are happening near you on our map and listing page.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|