By Shawn Gilley
Contributed by West Suburban Pads
West Suburban PADS operates a Transitional Shelter for up to 15 clients from June 1 – August 31. The Transitional Shelter Program is focused on helping clients gain life skills and self-sufficiency with the goal of establishing permanent housing. Participants are provided seven nights of shelter per week, three meals a day, weekly case management and therapeutic groups. They participate in preparing meals and are responsible for daily chores.
PADS is currently recruiting volunteers to provide meals, and has a particular need for dinner providers.
Dinner: Option 1 – Provide dinner, drinks & dessert for up to 15 guests. Prepare onsite with clients. Dinner will be served family style, with guests, volunteers and staff eating together.
Option 2 – Drop off a prepared dinner, drinks & dessert to shelter site at 6:30pm.
Breakfast: Purchase breakfast supplies** for up to 15 guests for the week. Drop off supplies to the shelter location on a Monday evening between 6:30pm – 9:00pm.
**Breakfast supplies to purchase: 4 gallons of milk – 3 gallons of juice – fruit – 3 loaves of bread – eggs – jam/butter, as needed
Lunch: Purchase lunch supplies** for up to 15 guests for the week. Drop off supplies to the shelter location on a Monday evening between 6:30pm – 9:00pm.
**Lunch supplies to purchase: 5 loaves of bread – 5 lbs of lunch meat – cheese (optional) – drinks (cans of soda, water, or juice boxes) – snacks (fruit, vegetables, cookies, or chips)
THIRD SHIFT: 5:00 AM TO 7:30 AM – 2 VOLUNTEERS
For the early risers who like to get going at a fast pace.
• Wake up all participants at 5:30 a.m.
• Monitor use of restrooms.
• Monitor smoke break at 5:30 a.m.
• Oversee participants clean-up, disinfecting and putting away pads, pillows, blankets..
• Oversee participants set up and serving a simple breakfast 6:00 a.m.
• Oversee participants removal of garbage.
• Oversee participants cleaning of sleeping room, bath rooms and kitchen.
• Return participant ID cards as participants leave.
• Check building to make sure all participants have left the building by 6:45am
• Do site check for cleanliness and order.
• Check area outside for trash
Go to www.westsuburbanpads.org for a list of summer shelters
If you are interested in scheduling an opportunity or have any questions, please contact Emily Aker (firstname.lastname@example.org). Thank you.