By Melissa Ford
On May 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm at OPRF High School learn from doctors, policemen, a judge, Student Assistance Program Coordinator, a student speaker and more about the ripple effect in our communities of minors using illegal substances. This educational program is for YOU and your TEEN.
Speakers will explore topics around the questions below:
At OPRFHS, 59% of our seniors say they had 5 or more drinks in the last month.
- What are Pharm parties?
- What is alcohol poisoning? How common? Is it on the rise?
- How much alcohol is in a shot of hard liquor vs beer?
- Why does alcohol metabolize differently in different people?
- What percentage of Youth coming into the emergency room is due to drugs/alcohol?
At OPRFHS, we have double the national average in weed use. 41% of seniors report using in the previous month compared to 20% nationally.
- What kind of kids use alcohol and other drugs?
- How does stress, depression, AD/HD, peer pressure, boredom or anxiety fit into this?
- What does the latest research tell us about the effects of drugs on the developing teenage brain?
- What does weed do to motivation, concentration and memory?
- Is weed physically addictive? Psychologically addictive?
- How do kids go from experimenting with alcohol and weed to harder drugs?
- What should parents do if they suspect their kid is using?
- How do we hold kids accountable when there is so much pressure to use?
- What are signs that a kid may be using?
Discover the truths vs myths about what happens when you get caught with drugs.
- What actually happens to parents and kids after an arrest is made?
- Can a record be expunged?
- How does a conviction affect a child in his/her adult life?
- What drugs come into our communities?
- Where are they sold? Used?
- How do drug dealers and gangs take advantage of our kids?
- What are the consequences in River Forest and Oak Park to kids who are high or drinking? Parents or adults at homes where kids are using?
If having conversations with your teen about substance use is uncomfortable and/or challenging, start the discussion by bringing your teen to this forum and learning together.
Hire Local for FREE!
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Photo store||Contact us|
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|