By Jim Bowman
From Oak Park Republicans blog, via Ill. GOP chairman Jack Dorgan:
For a sitting governor, it doesn't get much worse than the week Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn just had.
- On Tuesday, a state audit slammed Gov. Quinn for his $54.5 million program, launched just one month before the 2010 election. The brutal audit led to calls for a criminal investigation into what Republicans called a political "slush fund."
- On Wednesday, Quinn's head of the Illinois Department of Chidren and Family Services abruptly resigned after multiple scandals came to light in the past month, including a theft conviction and past paternity case.Associated Press
- Then on Thursday, Quinn's campaign got caught accepting $5,000 from an IDNR official and Democratic county party head. Shamed by the ILGOP, Quinn announced he would donate the tainted cash to charity (more about this below). And initial reports are that Quinn has plenty more work to do if he wants to truly rid himself of similar contributions.ILGOP Press Release
Quad Cities Times
- Friday brought the worst news of all: the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics confirmed the sad state of the Illinois economy under Gov. Quinn:
- Illinois was one of only two states where the average jobless rate got worse from 2012 to 2013.
- We had the third-worst overall jobless rate of any state in 2013.
- Every other state in the region, and each of our neighbors, improved their jobless rate while Illinois got worse.
- And on average last year, our population (and number of unemployed) increased, but our labor force and total number of workers dropped.
- So it should be no surprise that on Friday Rothenberg Political Report moved the Illinois governor's race from "Lean Democrat" to "Toss-up." The report said "[Quinn's] job approval numbers can't be ignored, and we have growing doubts about his re-election prospects."
Now that's what I would call a rough week.
Answer Book 2016
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2016 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|