The National Weather Service forecasts that a winter storm is headed to Chicago and the suburbs that could bring up to 12 inches of snow in some areas by Friday night.
"Travel will be very difficult to impossible at times, including during the morning commute on Friday," according to a statement the weather service released on Thursday.
"If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency," the statement reads.
A total of 7 to 14 inches is expected, with some areas due to get even more snow than others.
Ahead of the snowfall, event cancellations and school closings have been accumulating across Oak Park and River Forest.
The Emergency Closing Center, which "provides the status of Chicagoland area schools, businesses, daycare centers and organizations" ahead of serious storms, has already announced that the following schools and institutions will close Feb. 9:
- Oak Park and River Forest High School
- Fenwick High School, Oak Park
- Oak Park Public Library
- St. Catherine of Siena/St. Lucy School, Oak park
- St. Luke School, River Forest
- St. Vincent Ferrer School, River Forest
- Oak Park-River Forest Day Nursery, Oak Park
- Oak Park Elementary School District 97, all schools
- River Forest Elementary School District 90, all schools
- Menta Academy, Oak Park
- Oak Leaf Academy, Oak Park
- Oak Park Temple Religious School and Nursery School, Oak Park
- West Suburban Montessori School, Oak Park
- Academy of Movement and Music, Oak Park (preschool classes)
- River Forest Community Center
- Dominican University in River Forest
Answer Book 2017
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2017 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|