Courtesy Jim Gates
Having lived most of my adult life in Oak Park, I know this to be a highly intelligent and principled community; a village of leaders from diverse professional fields; with a populace dedicated to volunteerism and community service. I believe this citizenry expects and deserves the same in their public officials.
Professional Leadership experiences:
- Oak Park School District 97, 1973-2006, Educator, Team Leader, LA Division Chair, District Council Chair
- Oak Park District 97 Teachers' Association, President
- DuPage Regional Office of Education, Lead Middle Level Literacy and Writing Consultant, 2006-present
- 2012 Illinois Association of School Boards, Master Board Member
Community Service experiences:
- Edward Hines Veterans' Hospital
- Oak Park Diversity Task Force
- Oak Park Historical Society
- St. Giles Catholic Church
- Oak Park Food Pantry
- Oak Park PADS
In addition to my professional and service experiences, I have lived in the village for 37 years. My wife, retired from the banking industry, is the treasurer for the Oak Park Education Foundation and the Cook County League of Women Voters. We are the proud parents of graduates of Districts 97 and 200, employed as middle level educators, and the delighted grandparents of two precious granddaughters.
It was an honor and a privilege to serve the community in my first term as a member of the school board that received the 2011 Illinois State Board of Education's highest honor, the Award of Excellence. I so look forward to the opportunity to serve another board term in Oak Park District 97, among the 9% of Illinois school districts to earn the Bright Red Apple Award.
In my second term, I will remain committed to serving the interests of all village stakeholders and to honoring the promises made to voters in the District 97 referendum of 2012.
Hire Local for FREE!
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|