By Lexi Nielsen
For some of us, having a separate bedroom designated specifically for guests would be a luxury. Most of our “spare” bedrooms do double duty: guest room + office; guest room extra storage space; guest room craft station, laundry central, etc. But a few simple steps in preparation for a visit can make even a triple duty room seem warm and inviting for guests.
- Clear out a top drawer in a dresser and let guests know it’s there’s for them to use.
- Make room in the closet for their hanging items. Make sure to leave several wood hangers for them to use!
- Install hooks on the backs of doors for guests to hang coats, towels etc.
- Leave laundered robes - specifically purchased for guests only - on the back of doors. These come in handy in January when guests don’t want to wander downstairs only in their pjs!
- Most bedrooms are short on space, so leave a luggage rack out for suitcases if there isn’t enough drawer space.
- Remove clutter. Temporarily store it in the basement or under a bed. This means boxes, books, exercise equipment, ironing boards, toys, laundry, etc. Don't leave anything out that could trip a guest or make them feel like they're staying in a storage locker!
- Make sure there’s an end table on both sides of the bed for guests. This is good feng shui: you are encouraging good chi for the entire bed, even if only one person is sleeping there.
- Check to make sure that bedside table lamps have working bulbs! And do make sure there’s a lamp on both sides of the bed.
- Flip mattresses on a regular basis even in guest rooms. Again, this is good feng shui: using all sides helps the mattress retain its firmness and promotes good chi. Nothing gets stagnant.
- Swap out photos in frames for ones with your guests in them. It’s a small gesture, but makes guests feel welcome.
- In the bathroom, clear space for a guest’s personal items, both on the vanity and in the shower. Empty a drawer for them if possible.
- I like to use different colored towels for each room, so that in a shared bathroom everyone knows who’s is who’s. Make sure there is ample hanging space for a guest’s towels.
- Leave a new, unwrapped bar of soap and perhaps even small bottles of shampoo or body lotion in a basket in the bathroom or guest room. Careful Peach and Bramble are wonderful places to pick up guests soaps.
- Lastly, place coverlets on beds or in closets with extra duvets or pillows. It’s January after all, and these old houses are drafty!
Find a garage sale near you!
In search of local garage sales? Find out what sales are happening near you on our map and listing page.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|